Junior-Senior High Emergency Procedures
If the following emergency situations occur, parents are asked to follow the abbreviated procedures below to help with parent-student reunification and aid with traffic flow: (listen to local media sources)
- All school personnel have been trained in earthquake procedures. They have assigned roles and will be doing their best to safely care for your student(s).
- Assume that the school phone lines and cell phone lines will either not be working or be busy.
- Please give school authorities at least an hour to evacuate the classrooms, conduct building searches, and account for all people before calling or going to the school.
- Parent-Student reunification will be in front of the main entrance of “G” building. Enter the school from 18th Street. Give your name to the junior or senior high reunification team member and a “student runner” (member of Senate) will bring your student to you. Move ahead to the upper senior lot.
- While you are waiting for the student runner in your vehicle, you will be required to sign a parent release form. The reunification teams will have the form for you to complete.
- Please use the upper senior lot to reunite with your student. The other parking lots/building access locations are reserved for fire and other emergency vehicles.
Lockdown: (Intruder on campus or police order)
- All school personnel have been trained in lockdown procedures. They will be doing their best to ensure that all students are being held in a safe location on campus.
- In a lockdown we will not be able to answer incoming phone calls or make outside calls. DO NOT CALL YOUR STUDENT’S CELL PHONE—THE RINGING PHONE OR TEXT INDICATES A PERSON IS PRESENT. Within minutes the police, who will secure the neighboring streets and the building perimeter, will assist us. Parents will not be allowed near the school during a lockdown.
- Students will be kept inside locked classrooms with the blinds drawn. No one will be allowed to leave the classrooms/secure rooms on campus until the lockdown is lifted.
- All students and faculty/staff will remain in the lockdown mode until the police department lifts the lockdown.
- Parents may come to school to pick up their student(s) when the lockdown is lifted. Students who drive will be allowed to leave.
Evacuation: (Bomb threat and/or police order)
- If we need to evacuate the buildings for any reason, the immediate evacuation location will be Sacred Heart’s field located immediately southeast of the campus.
- Parents may pick up their student(s) from the field using NE 15th Street off of 100th.
- Students who drive may be allowed to drive home if the situation is safe for them to get their car on campus.
- If we will be evacuated for longer than 30 minutes, we will walk with the students to 1st Presbyterian Church on 1717 Bellevue Way NE. The junior and senior high reunification teams will help parents and students.
- Parent-Student reunification will be in front of the main entrance of the church, facing Bellevue Way. Give your name to the junior or senior high reunification team member and a “student runner” will bring your student to you.
- While you are waiting for the student runner, you will be required to sign a parent release form. The reunification teams will have that form for you to complete.